Khagrachhari is one of the three (Rangamati, Bandarban and Khagrachhari) green, hilly and naturally beautiful districts of Bangladesh. It was recognized as district on 7th November 1983. Before that it was under Ramgarh Sub-division of the district of Chittagong Hill Tracts which was under the reign of the Tripura State, the Arakans and the Sultans in different times before it came under the control of the British East India Company in 1760. Chittagong Hill Tracts was under Chittagong District as a hilly area until it recognized as independent district under the ‘Frontier Tribes Act 22 of 1860.